My least favorite thing about not having an out of the house job is definitely the lack of food choices for snack and lunch. When I worked, I could walk into the giant kitchen and be surprised with the delicious snacks I could have (especially while I was pregnant.) Now, all I have is the lame stuff I buy. When I worked, I could walk across the street and grab a sub sandwich, or around the corner to McDonald’s. Now that requires me to put 2 kids in car seats and we all know how much of a hassle that can be.
I love food.
So one day I was craving something with cheese (shocking, I know). I had some bagel chips and rummaged through the fridge to find something for a dip.
Ohhhh myyyyy goodness. Jackpot.
Cream cheese, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. DONE AND DONE.
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
3/4 cup pizza or pasta sauce (adjust according to taste)*
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
*If you want to add “toppings,” add them to the sauce layer. Cooked crumbled sausage, chopped pepperoni, small chopped veggies, etc
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar, basil, garlic and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese until well combined.
4. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the grease baking dish evenly (I use my hands for this part).
5. Spoon your sauce on evenly over the cream cheese.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining mozzarella (1 cup) and the parmesan cheese.
7. Cover the sauce mixture with the mozzarella / parmesan cheese mixture.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes; until cheese is bubbly.
9. Serve with crackers, bagel chips, tortilla chips, whatever.
This is served best warm, but it’s also ok from the fridge. But it’s best warm. Trust me.
Looking for more snack ideas?